Monday, July 6, 2009

Tummy trouble

Ethan turned 1 month old last week! I can't believe it's already been a month. The past month has gone so fast (and slow at times).

Ethan has been having a tummy pain :-( It started last Wednesday night he woke up screaming about an hour after I fed him and put him in bed. At first I thought it was his usual whine when he's falling asleep, but it kept getting louder, so we went to check on him. He usually stops crying when I pick him up, but he kept going, and very loud. I kept rocking and comforting him, and after a few burps (and half an hour) later, he went back to sleep. This happened again the next morning after the feeding, so I called the doctor. She told me to get the anti-gas drop and cut dairy on my diet.

He still has pain after some feedings, but I think it's getting a little better. According to some research (ok, I did A LOT of research because I don't want to see my son in pain!), babies' bowl movements change around 6-8 weeks, and they also start to notice the bowl movements, so they are irritable. We did definitely notice that he has been having only one dirty diaper a day (sometimes none) for the past few days. So I'm really hoping that this is just a stage for him to go through and he would be able to burp/ deal with tummy ache better soon. Meanwhile I'll be drinking lactose free fat free milk.

We ended up buying a moby wrap a few weeks ago, because Jeff's co-worker could not find hers anymore. It's been great! It's a little warm sometimes (because this is just a super long material wrapped around you) but it works great, and Ethan loves it and falls asleep in it.




Speaking of sleep, he somehow manages to shift himself down in his sleep positioner. I guess we are ok as long as he is comfortable and sleeps well. He continues to sleep 6-8 hr stretch at night, then 3-4 hr nap in the morning. Actually he is still sleeping now, going over 9 hr stretch!


1 comment:

  1. That was the one thing I didn't like about the wrap too, the heat, but I think a sling or a wrap I are both more supportive for the early months than the mei tai would be (I can't say for sure because I didn't get the mei tai until Luke was bigger, and I think they sell something you can put into your mei tai to make it better for newborns but I don't own that...yet :-) In the summer I mostly used the sling since it was so much cooler than any other option.

    Hope things continue to get better with Ethan's stumach issues! I know that can last a while with some babies.

    ReplyDelete