Thursday, June 11, 2009

2 week check up

Ethan had his first doctor's appointment today; two week check up. He is a little shy of 2 weeks old, though. He weighs 9 lbs 1 oz, 21 inches long. We are pretty proud of his weight gain, considering that he was down to 7 lbs 11 oz 8 days ago. He sure has been eating a lot! But he did amazing at the doctor's office. He fell asleep as soon as we put him in the car, did not cry at all while the nurse and the doctor poked him around and weighed him and such, and was very content looking outside on the way home (although I don't think he can see much yet).

He has been sleeping well except for the afternoons. At night, he usually eats at 11pm, at 3am, and at 7am. And in the morning he usually does ok, but in the afternoon, he is up most of the time wanting to eat. Today has been a little better and he is up but a little happier. What do I play with 12 days old though? I've been reading whatever I'm reading to him out loud and making up songs. But it would be a lot easier once he is able to see better.

My mom is leaving on Saturday, so the true challenge will start next week for me. We are thinking of getting a Baby Bjorn baby carrier so I can carry him around. We bought a carrier from Infantino at a garage sale, but it is not very easy for me to put him in it by myself. And I have heard good things about Baby Bjorn... it's a bit pricy, but if this can spare my sanity, it's worth it! If you have other recommendations, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Ethan's weight gain!

    We have a baby bjorn and love it! It's very easy to get him in and out by yourself. But in the beginning I really preferred using a sling. Owen would usually fall asleep in it and even if he didn't he would just watch the world. I think he really liked being close to mommy and all snuggled up inside. I would really recommend them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved my sling too, and instead of a Bjorn I have a mei tai carier which I also love and am still using, it goes up to 35 lbs or as long as your back can handle it. It's super comfortable and Luke would always fall right to sleep in it when he was smaller. I have a Mei Tai Baby, which I found to be the most versatile brand, and it is made by a stay at home mom which I like supporting (just check out www.meitaibaby.com). It is one of few mai tais that have snaps to make the bottom panel smaller, so that you can have a baby face out as well as facing in, on your hip or on your back. It is also on the pricy side at about 80 dolars for a basic one, but I felt it was definitely worth it. I have never tried a Bjorn, though I did borrow a cheaper carrier that looked similar. I am sure that the cheaper verson is not as comfortable as the bjorn or I can't imagine it getting all the good reviews it does, but there is one other thing that I like that the mei tai does that a bjorn doesn't do. A mei tai is a square of fabric with straps that you use to secure the baby in place. Because it doesn't have a panel that sits between you and baby you don't have to set the baby in it the same way. What I like about this is that when the baby falls asleep in a mei tai if you want to set the baby down all you have to do is lean over the bed and untie it, you don't have to lift the baby out, and that makes it a lot easier to keep the baby asleep. So anyway, that's another option for you to consider. There are so many things I love about it, like how pretty they are, and if you are willing to spend 25$ more you can get one with 3 interchangeable fabrics, so you can get a cute baby looking fabric, a beautiful or chic fabric for you and a sports or other manly fabric for Jeff. If you don't get the "zippy" option you still have the option of just turning it around, one side has pretty fabric and the other side is plain in whatever color you chose. I'm going to quit now... (-;

    I wanted to say, I remember those early weeks too. I loved just holding Luke all the time, but my mind needed more stimultion, so I did a lot of stuff one handed sitting at the computer while he slept in my arms. Also one of my favorite things was to listen to NPR on line. They have this program on Saturdays called This American Life. If you have never heard it you should definitely give it a try sometime. They have tons archived on the web site and you can get to it through npr's web page. Try the favorites and then branch out from there. Like you said, this is also a great time to catch up on any books you want to read, soon it won't be so easy! It doesn't take long before babies start to respond more and more. I think Luke started smiling for real aroud 5 or 6 weeks. Enjoy every moment you have with him, I can't believe my tiny baby is already 15 months old! Now every night before he goes to bed he has his routine, bath, then books and nursing and then to bed. Since he is nursing then I take the opportunity to read books with paper pages instead of board books. I just finished the first of the wizard of oz series with him tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info! I'll have to research more. We may look into getting both. We'll see if we can find what we like!

    ReplyDelete